I had a moment about 3 months ago.
I was flipping through my Bon Appetit magazine and there it was. Coffee Chocolate Smores Pie.
The picture was cropped in tight so I could see the thick, dark chocolate ganache, the soft peaks of the meringue, the graham cracker crumb crust coated in Nutella.
Yes, you heard right. The crust of this pie has Nutella in it.
I ripped the page out of that magazine faster than you could say “Gimme!”, determined to make this pie mine. And soon.
And then life happened. The page got shoved into a binder somewhere, most likely when I was on a panicked cleaning spree before the holidays.
I happened to pull the binder out a few weeks ago, and there it was. How could I have forgotten? That amazingness needed to happen now.
This time the page didn’t get shoved away. It went straight to my kitchen counter along with chopped chocolate, crushed graham crackers, coffee grounds, and Nutella. A counter doesn’t look much better than that.
This pie begins with crushed graham crackers, butter, and Nutella. I’d say we’re off to a good start.
The next layer is just a coffee infused chocolate ganache. Of course, I shouldn’t say “just.” That’s like saying I “just” won a million dollars.
The last layer is a simple meringue–just a few egg whites whipped and sugared into soft, pillowy peaks.
Nothing has to be baked or shaped or rolled or braided. Just three simple layers stacked together.
It makes one killer pie.
I can’t imagine a more perfect Valentine’s day dessert. Rich, decadent, and silky chocolate.
Because the filling of this pie is a ganache, it is much richer than a traditional chocolate pie made with a pudding like filling. Serve slices small. A little bit goes a long way. Or serve em big. Because it’s almost Valentine’s Day and if that’s not an excuse to eat a giant slice of chocolate pie, I don’t know what is.
- 9 whole graham crackers, ground in a food processor or crushed into fine crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons Nutella
- 1 oz. semi sweet chocolate, melted
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 12 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ½” cubes
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons ground coffee
- 2 large egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- In a medium sized bowl mix together graham cracker crumbs, heavy cream, Nutella, chocolate, and butter until cohesive. Add additional Nutella if needed. Press mixture onto the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie dish. Chill for about 30 minutes or until ready to proceed.
- Put chopped chocolate and butter pieces in a large bowl. Place cream, coffee ground, and 2 Tablespoons water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Watch carefully because it will bubble up quickly! As soon as the mixture boils, remove the pan from the heat, cover it, and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve into the bowl of chocolate. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth and no chunks remain. Pour chocolate mixture over the graham cracker crust. Chill until set, about 1 hour.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat egg whites on medium high speed until light and frothy. Add the sugar in 4 additions, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Continue to beat egg whites on high speed until they are glossy and hold a stiff peak.
- Spoon meringue over chocolate filling and swirl or smooth. Serve immediately or chill for up to 8 hours.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit