I’ve got a bone to pick, and it’s with winter.
I put away my heavy winter coat at the beginning of March in good faith. I was giving winter the benefit of the doubt. Okay, winter, you’ve been rough, I thought, but I trust you’re going to go away quietly. Not make a scene. Just head back to Siberia where you belong.
But winter is not going away quietly. It’s going out kicking up every wind and flurry and frosty morning on its way.
So the Sunday Supper contributors and I are declaring war.
War on winter.
This Sunday, it’s all about spring time. Who cares that I’m still wearing my winter coat? Who cares that the trees are still bare? Spring is here!
I’m eating asparagus and salad and sprinkling fresh, bright green herbs on everything!
And most importantly, I’m eating ice cream. And liking it too!
This fried ice cream is the easiest thing in the world, but it really takes this classic summer favorite to the next level.
You’re probably familiar with the fried ice cream served in Mexican restaurants. A crispy warm batter encasing cool, creamy ice cream and finished with a drizzle of honey. In other words, the best thing ever.
Remember that Cheater Pho Bo?
Yeah, apparently I like shortcuts in the kitchen, because this is Cheater Fried Ice Cream.
This version nails the crunchy meets creamy texture of fried ice cream without having to worry about a melty, milky mess. It has graced the table of many a Mennonite potluck and is always a crowd pleaser.
The ingredients are simple. Ice cream and whipped topping are whisked together and spiced with cinnamon then covered in crispy, sugared corn flakes and frozen. It takes about 10 minutes to throw together and tastes just as special as the real thing.
I like to finish this dish with a drizzle of honey and a big fat “TAKE THAT WINTER!”
Check out all the other ways the Sunday Supper team is taking it to winter below the recipe!
- 1 stick butter
- 6 cups cornflakes, crushed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream (8 cups), slightly softened
- 1 8 oz. container whipped topping, thawed
- 11/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- honey, for serving
- **Before you prepare this dish, you'll want to decide if this is a make ahead dish that you need to grab and go, or if you want the topping to be warm, like traditional fried ice cream. It's delicious both ways, it just depends on what you prefer. The warm topping requires that you be able to serve the dish immediately after the topping is cooked, so it requires a little more planning.
- For the ice cream base, combine the softened ice cream, whipped topping, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Use a stand mixer, hand beater, or blender to combine. Spread ice cream mixture evenly in a 9 x 13 inch pan and place in the freezer.
- For the topping: In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add cornflakes and sugar and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- If you're freezing this ahead of time, layer the cornflake mixture on the ice cream as soon as it's cool then freeze for 2 hours or overnight.
- If you want the topping to be warm, wait to prepare the cornflake topping until 30 minutes before you're ready to serve, then pull the pan from the freezer, top with warm topping, and serve immediately.
- Either way, cut the dessert into squares and serve with honey or chocolate sauce.
- For a fancier presentation, scoop ice cream mixture into individual serving bowls or glasses then sprinkle with cornflake mixture.
We’re celebrating Spring with Sunday Supper!
Green and Spring Dishes Menu Includes:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips