I know…four days in and I’ve already jumped the healthy bandwagon. Will you forgive me for taking a one day break? Because these Slow Cooker Brisket French Dip Sandwiches just can’t wait until February.
It wasn’t supposed to be this way. This was supposed to be a nice simple beef brisket served with a pile of carrots, onions, and potatoes. Sure, it wasn’t exactly the picture of health, but it was a complete meal made right in your crockpot.
I blame the brisket for this mess. It was just so darn tender. And the broth? The wine made it so rich, so perfectly dunkable.
The brisket literally fell apart. It was like a love struck school girl–I barely looked at it and it fell to pieces.
I took one bite of the stuff and some instinct in my brain just took over. It was yelling, “Cheeeeeese, woman! This needs cheese!”
And before you know it, I was slathering buns with butter and smothering that brisket in gooey melted Swiss.
It was an accident. The really happy kind.
Guys? These sandwiches are really, really good. And the whole process is made so easy by the trusty slow cooker. I did brown the beef in a skillet for a short time before throwing it in the crockpot, but other than that, this is a dump and go recipe. The brisket cooks low and slow in a beef and wine broth seasoned with rosemary and bay leaf.
Once the beef is done, you just pile it onto the sandwiches, add your cheese, and give it a quick turn under the broiler.
I’ve never really had a french dip sandwich before, but now I can say with confidence that you haven’t really lived until you’ve dunked your sandwich in savory, beefy liquid. It’s an entirely new experience. One I insist you try as soon as possible.
If you’re not interested in cooking the carrots and potatoes with the beef, feel free to leave them out. I do suggest you keep the onions though. They really put the sandwiches over the top. Or, if you really must, I supppoooose you could skip the sandwich thing and serve this dinner as it was originally intended-on a pile of slow cooked veggies. Either way, you’re gonna love this beef!
The #SundaySupper team is easing into the New Year with a whole line up of slow cooker recipes. If you’re looking to simplify your evening dinner routine, this is the post for you! Check them all out below the recipe!
P.S. I’m coming at ya later this week with a big fat salad, so hold tight, because it just might be the perfect side dish for a french dip sandwich!
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 lbs. beef brisket
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered (optional)
- 4 carrots, chopped into bite sized pieces (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dry red wine
- Enough water to cover
- Swiss Cheese
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Cut any large hunks of fat off the brisket then season it generously with salt and pepper on all sides. Add the brisket to the hot oil and cook until browned on all sides, 2-4 minutes per side.
- Place the onion, carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the crockpot followed by the brisket. Sprinkle with garlic cloves, rosemary, and bay leaves. Add the broth and wine then fill with enough water to cover all of the beef and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, then high for an additional hour.** Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Remove the brisket from the crockpot and shred it. Butter both sides of the buns then place them under the broiler on low for 2 minutes or until browned and toasted. Pile the bottom half of the buns with the briskets and a few onions followed by 1-2 slices Swiss cheese. Place that half of the sandwich back under the broiler for another 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with the other half of the sandwich bun. Use the remaining broth from the crockpot as the "dip" for the sandwiches. Dunk and enjoy!
Recipe for brisket adapted from Stir It Up
Looking for more crock pot recipes? Check these out!
Plus, take a look at all of these great recipes from the #SundaySupper family!
Whet Your Appetite
Simmering Soups, Stews, and Side Dishes
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans for Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.